Migrants Access Fund Program
Employ Migrants has partnered with Horizon Australasia to provide this opportunity to its members. To find out if you meet the requirements to apply for a MAF loan contact Kaushal at Kaushal@horizonaustralasia.com.au or call +61 423 799 823.
Who We Help
The main goal of the Employ Migrants Access Fund Program is to support skilled migrants who arrive in Australia equipped with excellent professional skills and knowledge, but face significant barriers to employment due to a lack of funds to pay for their professional exam fees, or to further their study. this can result in some of these migrants becoming stuck in unskilled employment or low paying survival jobs. Lack of access to mainstream credit to fund their education can also make their transition to a commensurate-paying job difficult.
How We Help
Are you a migrant and who wants to return to your profession or trade in Australia? The Employ Migrants MAF loan can help if you are struggling to pay for the costs associated with completing the licensing or training you need to work in your field in Australia.
USE OF MAF LOANS
You can borrow between $4,000 and $25,000 to cover the following costs:
- 1. Short-term (two years or less) training
- 2. Exam fees with a professional governing association
- 3. Travel expenses to write an exam
- 4. Qualification assessments
- 5. Professional association fees
- 6. Books and course materials
- 7. English language courses specific to employment
- 8. Other related expenses
MAF LOAN PROGRAM IS UNIQUE
Employ Migrants MAF loan is the first of its kind to be established in Australia to assist skilled professional migrants attain their professional goals within a shorter time frame. The program is a win not only for the migrants but also for Australia’s economy.
- 1. MAF can lend to people with a low income who meet the eligibility criteria
- 2. Clients with no Australian credit history, or less than 12 months credit history, can receive a loan of up to $5,000
- 3. Collateral is not required.
- 4. Interest rate and repayments will be advised before submitting the loan application
The loan is required to be paid off between 18 and 60 months. Clients are advised to remain employed during the loan period because their inability to make re-payments can damage their credit history which can take seven to ten years to be repaired.
To apply for a loan you must:
- 1. Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (457 Visa Applicants excluded).
- 2. Be 18 years or older
- 3. Be employed: full time, part-time, self-employed or casual (casual tenure must be greater than six months).
- 4. Have no active payday loans
- 5. Have no unpaid defaults
- 6. Not be bankrupt or have a court judgement
- 7. Have acceptable identification, such as a:
- passport and proof of address no older than 3 months (utility bill, bank statement, rates notice).
- Two of the following are acceptable; Passport, Driver’s License, or Medicare card.
- Single borrower only – no joint applications
To be ready to support your loan application you must
- 1. Have a plan that sets out what you will do to be able to work in your field
- 2. Know the steps you will follow to find employment in your field
- 3. Have English skills that enable you to complete your learning plan
- 4. Provide information about the program you wish to take
- 5. Have a reasonable chance of obtaining employment in your field. Loans can be provided to new migrants that want to change their career as long as they have excellent employment prospects in their new career.
- 6. Be committed to paying back the loan-with interest
- 7. Complete an application and satisfy all requirements of the Loan provider
- 8. Demonstrate good character